Build time is a video series where we build a business process from scratch, using a variety of low-code tools. Got an idea for a future session? Let us know at email@example.com.
With the recent surge in covid cases across the US, covid test sites are being set up nationwide at record speed. The testing sites work by partnering with a lab center, and administering tests within communities on a daily basis. Once the tests are performed, they are sent for processing to a lab center. There are two parts to each test: 1) the lab sample, and 2) a form with personal information about the patient (e.g. first name/last name/dob/phone number).
The patient form is sometimes filled in digitally through an iPad, but more often than not it's a simple piece of paper filled in by hand. And at the end of the day, all this information has to be transcribed into an excel spreadsheet.
Wondering why forms need to be transcribed at all? Well, structured data of the patient's information is required once the tests have run in order to notify the patient of these tests results in an automated fashion (e.g email or SMS).
Transcribing patient forms at scale: requirements
There are a few challenges and requirements to manually transcribing a high volume of sensitive documents per day (3,000 to 20,000).
1) Team collaboration: You need a process for parallelizing the work between a group of people, with features such as auto-assignment.
2) Data quality: You need a QA process to ensure data is accurate before being used downstream.
3) File security: Individual agents shouldn't have to download sensitive PDFs on their personal computer.
4) Handling sensitive patient data: Using the principle of least privilege, individual agents should only have access to sensitive information required for the task at hand. Once a document has been transcribed, it should not be available anymore.
Our toolset for building the workflow in no-code
We will build a complete solution using a mix of Flowdash, Zapier, and Google drive.
1) Scanned PDFs will be uploaded to google Drive
2) A Zap will create one task per file in Flowdash
3) Flowdash will manage the transcribing coordination.
Hope you enjoy the video and please leave any questions you have!